Sooner or later you’ll actually get an interview. A common thread at the end of interviews is to give you a chance to ask questions about the company. The questions you ask can be at least as important as the interview questions you answered. If you ask the wrong question, you’re out. Here is a short list of the questions you should ask, and why.
- Are budgeting decisions typically made at corporate headquarters, or are the decisions made in a more decentralized fashion?
This tells you how decentralized the company is, and what input you’ll be likely to have on important decisions.
- Are there any areas in which you feel I fall short of your requirements?
Don’t argue at this point. This lets you address these issues in the closing statement that most interviewers ask you to give before you leave.
- Are there formal metrics in place for measuring and rewarding performance over time?
This lets you know how important rewarding high performing employees is to the company, especially in smaller companies that may not be as savvy in the employment world as a larger firm.
- As I understand it, the successful candidate will be someone with x education, y qualifications, and z experience. Do I understand the opportunity correctly?
This lets you know if you are the right person for the job, and also lets you emphasize these issues in your closing statements.
- As my direct report in this position, what are the three top priorities you would first like to see accomplished?
This is a good question if your subordinate is interviewing you….a common practice these days.
- Before I leave, is there anything else you need to know concerning my ability to do this job?
This gives you another chance to sell yourself.
These are a few of the questions you may pretty safely ask the interviewer at the end of your interview. This is a very short list. For more interview questions you can ask, and a comprehensive look at interviewing with over 1,000 interview questions and answers, take a look at our book, Interview to GET THAT JOB! here.
Also, join us Monday, September 26th at the Denver Athletic Club, 13th & Glenarm, from 6:30 – 9 PM for the workshop, Interview to GET THAT JOB! More info and registration here.